The Youth Empowerment Project (YEP), in partnership with the Social Development Fund (SDF), brings a solution to increase accessibility to finance for youth-led micro, small and medium sized enterprises in The Gambia.
About the Mini-Loan Scheme
- Two main loan facilities: Working Capital Loans (WCL) and Loans for the Acquisition of Required Machinery, Equipment and Premises.
- The average loan amount per beneficiary is GMD 150,000. The amount of financing to a single beneficiary is dependent on the application assessment and business plan proposed but will not be more than GMD 480,000.
- The loan term will be a maximum period of 12 months and a minimum period of 6 months per loan cycle.
- Annual interest rate of 10 percent.
- For Working Capital Loans, applicants will be required to provide a collateral value of 75% of the total loan requested.
- Loans disbursed for the acquisition of machinery, equipment, new premises, improvement and expansion of existing premises will require a joint registration of the items in the names of both the borrower and the SDF as a security until the loan is fully liquidated by the borrower.
- Must be a young Gambian entrepreneur or group of entrepreneurs (not older than 35 years).
- Must have received a YEP entrepreneurship or skills training. Proof of attendance is required. In the case of group lending, at least 50% of the group members must have completed the training programme. As of 1st January 2019, trainings from other institutions will also be considered.
- Must have a registered business.
- Must have an operational bank account.
- Must provide a solid business plan in free format, including budget, management and an estimation of employment capacity.
- Provide clear indication of ability to repay the loan.
- In the case of Working Capital Loans (WCL), must have adequate collateral to match the required amount (collateral can be landed property, moveable assets, equipment, or personal guarantees).
How to apply?
Application forms are available online on both the YEP and the SDF websites. You can find it here:
Electronic applications should be sent to:
- Greater Banjul Area and West Coast Region: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Central River and Upper River Regions: email@example.com
- North Bank and Lower River Regions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For the Head Office: email@example.com
Equally, interested applicants can collect and submit application forms at the SDF Head Quarters and SDF Regional Offices during working hours.
- Head Office, Kanifing Institutional Layout, Kaninfing Municipality, Tel: +220 4399963/64
- Kanifing Regional Office, Kanifing Institutional Layout, Kaninfing Municipality, Tel: +220 4399963/64
- Farafenni Regional Office, Farafenni Town, North Bank Region, Tel: +220 7008912
- Brikamaba Office, Brikamaba, Central River Region, Tel: +220 778445
For any enquiries, please contact:
Mr. Lamin Jobarteh, Director of Operations, SDF
Tel. +220 4399963/4
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are open on a rolling basis.