Background on Packaging activities
In The Gambia, poor packaging is one of the main reasons for the failure of locally manufactured products to compete favourably with imported ones. Improving packaging will contribute to improve the competitiveness of SMEs and Start-up companies and benefit all actors and consumers along the entire supply chain in Gambia. Entrepreneurs are facing several issues that impede them from investing in quality packaging materials. The lack of knowledge make difficult the selection of the appropriate packaging system for a specific product. The visibility of the Gambian manufacturers and suppliers is limited so most entrepreneurs are importing them from abroad. Consequently, the packaging activities aim to:
Improve the access to packaging materials and equipment to entrepreneurs,
Promote Gambian industry in the packaging sector,
Develop sustainable packaging solutions with a reduced impact on the environment,
Transfer knowledge to institutions and entrepreneurs.
In order to facilitate the implementation of solutions to address the packaging issues, a training of trainers (19 youth) and several workshops (30 entrepreneurs) for food and handcraft products have already been conducted in 2018.
For 2019, YEP requires the services of a National Consultant to undertake the activities listed in the next section.
Description of Duties/Responsibilities
The Consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Advisor, Packaging, and in collaboration with the local YEP team in The Gambia.
The national consultant will undertake the following duties:
- Provide visibility to the packaging industry of the Gambia to promote national production capacities and existing solutions in the country:
Identify packaging manufacturers, suppliers and distributors in the Gambia
Create a packaging guide comprised of a packaging directory and description of packaging principles
Support the packaging day at the international Trade Fair with GCCI in April 2019: look for packaging exhibitors, coordinate the preparation of conferences, organize a packaging competition & award
- Set-up a packaging hub to support SMEs access quality packaging materials and equipment, training and additional services
Develop the business model, identify targeted sector and the packaging services to be developed
Coordinate the set-up of the packaging hub (building, equipment, operations)
Coordinate the preparation of the communication plan
- Prepare a business case to set-up a system for collecting, cleaning and reusing glass bottles in Gambia.
- Various assignment like participating at roundtables and meetings, liaising with institutions, organizations and entrepreneurs, etc.
Reports to be prepared in English.
Expected Outputs and Timelines
Visibility of the packaging industry
- Packaging companies listed
- Draft of packaging guide submitted
- Topics and speakers for conferences identified
- Packaging competition & awards delivered at the 12th fair trade, packaging day
Set-up a packaging hub
- Develop the business model, identify targeted sector and the packaging services to be developed
- Packaging hub set-up
- Communication plan designed and marketing material ready
Business case for a glass recycling system submitted
Good analytical skills
Familiarity and previous involvement in writing study reports and technical documents
Good knowledge in using Microsoft office application most particularly Word and Excel
Good knowledge of using online data gathering tools
Strong organizational skills
Undergraduate degree (BA/BSC or other) with a minimum of 4 years’ experience in a relevant area OR a postgraduate degree (MA/MSc/MBA, PHD or other) with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a relevant area.
The degree should be in Marketing (market study, business development), Economics, logistics, Business Administration, Agro-food industry, Science related field or in a research related field or advanced educational programme or technical or commercial school equivalent, preferably supplemented by training or courses in a related field.
Extensive relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the university degree.
- Minimum 2 or 4 years’ experience (depending on the University degree) in Packaging, Marketing (market study, business development), Economics, Logistics, Business Administration, Agro-food industry;
- At least 1 year experience in conducting assessment, evaluation and research, in business development or in market research, in writing reports;
- Good understanding of Packaging issues in the Agro-food sector (supply chain, operations, general logistics, market analysis or others relevant experiences)
Good command of English
Submission of Application
Interested applicants should send CV and Cover Letter via email to Frederic Couty (email@example.com), or hard copies addressed to: Project Manager, Youth Empowerment Project (YEP), EDC House, Bakau.
The deadline for submissions is to 16th January, 2019.